Thursday, March 10, 2011

Senior Series Part One: Phil Orazio

Welcome to the first of an eight part series about the graduating seniors from the UP Theater acting program. These eight students are now faced with the daunting task of figuring out their future. Some will try their luck with stage, others will take their skills to the big screen. Regardless of what path they choose, these eight students will become professionals as they enter the theater world after UP.

Meet Phil Orazio

photo by Owen Carey
Phil Orazio is a forced to be reckoned with in the theater world. Most recently seen in the UP production of "Our Town," Orazio's acting career has extended past Mago Hunt Theater during his four years at UP. Orazio was in the Actor's Repertory Theatre's production of "Ah, Wilderness!" this past year as well as the Nomadic Theater production of Conor Eifler's "Alice in Wonderland" adaptation. During both his sophomore and junior years, Orazio was the regional champion for ACTF. 

"Basically I want to be successful at my craft," Orazio said. "I have been training for four years and it is never quite enough, but I want to get to the point where I am great at my craft and able to make my living as a working actor. I would love nothing more than that."

Now Orazio is faced with where he wants to perfect his craft. With numerous possibilities, Orazio hopes to make his important decision soon. 

"Next year I am planning to either study at the University of Houston with a full ride or attend the Actors Theatre of Louisville apprentice program or possibly move to LA and take my chances as an actor trying to get work," Orazio said. "The possibilities are pretty much endless right now."

Although Orazio is set to graduate and leave Mago Hunt Theater in May, he remembers the wonderful moments that have happened in the past four years.

"It's hard to pinpoint one experience that was the most valuable because there has been so many, but to pull one out of the hat, I would have to say performing at the ACTF conference in "Servant of Two Masters," Orazio said. "It was almost like a magical experience. The stars were aligned for us to be incredible - and we were."

1 comment:

  1. This interview was very insightful. I never really imagined what it could be like to have to show that you are good at something when you've already proven yourself. For example, Business majors have the degree to prove that their qualified. But for actors, it seems as though they have to prove themselves time and time again. I wish them the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete