Thursday, March 31, 2011

Senior Series Part Four: Brian Burger

Meet Brian Burger

photo by Owen Carey
Brian Burger is the happy presence that greets you everytime you walk into the Mago Hunt Theater lobby. Transferring to UP from Linfield College during his freshman year, Burger was immediately accepted into the UP Theater family. Burger's memorable roles include Caldwell B. Caldwell in "Urinetown" and Ken Gorman in "Rumors." He will be seen in UP's "Into The Woods" as The Narrator. Burger was also in the Nomadic Theater production of Conor Eifler's "Alice in Wonderland" and has also done staged readings for Fertile Ground and Readers Theatre Repertory.

For next year, Burger is hoping to spend his time down South in Florida.

"I'm awaiting reply from the Florida Studio Theatre Acting Apprentice Program, which asked me to apply after seeing my work at ACTF," Burger said. "If I get in, me and 11 other apprentices will be heading to Sarasota, Florida for nine months to learn the ropes of professional theatre, both acting and behind the scenes."

The program at Florida Studio Theatre would allow Burger to learn about professional theater as well as educational theater.

Burger hopes that through this program he will be able to accomplish his mission of making a difference in people's lives.

"Originally I thought I would do this as a doctor or a psychologist, but I was never able to completely tear myself away from the theater, so I just decided to make it my thing," Burger said. "Now, if I can brighten somebody's day or help that person learn something about the world or about him or herself, then I feel I have done my job."

Burger hopes to attend graduate school for acting in the upcoming years.

Although Burger is about to leave The Bluff, he looks back to his role in "Urinetown" as his favorite UP Theater experience.

"I don't think I've ever been more excited to simply go to rehearsal and see what crazy ideas the cast, the director, and even the band would have each night to make the show even more over-the-top fun than it already was," Burger said. "Plus, it's the only time I've ever gotten to play a villain, bumbling through he may have been."

1 comment:

  1. I like the style in which you write this, Roya! It's professional yet easy to read, and you do a great job of highlighting Brian in a nutshell. =)

    ReplyDelete