Friday, March 25, 2011

Misconceptions about UP Theater

The University of Portland is known for many things. UP's women's soccer team consistently does well from season to season. UP's School of Nursing is known as one of the best in the state. Recently, UP's School of Engineering building Shiley Hall was deemed LEED Platinum certified.

But, what about the UP Theater department?

One aspect of life on The Bluff that students overlook is the Theater program. Just a quick poll around campus, many students can name only one or two drama productions. Even the ones they can name, many of those productions are years old.

Through some asking around, I found that many students are unaware of the student actors and the work they do in Mago Hunt Theater and the new Mehling Black Box Theater. Every year, the UP Theater program produces 4 mainstage productions and 3-4 second stage productions.

Some popular shows include "Much Ado About Nothing," "Urinetown" and "Little Women."

Students are involved in almost every aspect of these productions. Undergraduate and graduate students act, direct, create the sets, design the lighting, do stage makeup, and design costumes. They practice their craft everyday and are at rehearsals almost every night for these shows.

As mentioned previously in this blog, the UP Theater department competes in an acting competition called ACTF. Each and every year, undergraduate and graduate theater students receive honors and scholarships from their performances.

The University of Portland is a small university with a small theater program. But no matter how small, the UP Theater department should get the recognition it deserves.

Watch the video, find out about the University of Portland and UP Theater for yourself!

4 comments:

  1. Great post Roya. I was involved in the theatre department at my high school, and I realize how much commitment and work it takes to do even one production. It must be hard for the drama students at UP to not get the appreciation they deserve.
    Also, your video was GREAT. The variety you got from your interviews made it especially interesting and entertaining.
    So what do you think can be done to boost the theatre departments popularity...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great video Roya! I agree that the UP theater program is much much better than most students think. I've only seen productions because I had to or for extra credit, but that's because I don't know about them or don't have time. The shows I went to were really good and I could tell that the students devoted a lot of time and hard work into the production. I think that UP could do a better job at advertizing the productions. There are signs around campus, but the titles are usually kinda vague or ambiguous and don't tell you what it is about. I really think that better advertising could make students more aware of the quality of the theater program at UP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback you guys!

    Hannah, to answer your question, I think there needs to be more publicity from the University about the Theater program and its shows. That way there is more awareness as well as more advertising for the show.

    Marit, you totally nailed it about the advertising. It's really hard to know what's going on with the theater department unless you have a direct tie to the program.

    It would be interesting to get a UP Theater student's opinion on this. I will ask around and report back...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roya!

    I loved loved LOVED that post, and not just because my show was mentioned in the video ;).

    You are doing such a fabulous job of giving UP theatre the publicity and voice it so very much deserves. This program produces such amazing artists working in all aspects of the theatrical world. It would be so great for the school and students to recognize, appreciate, and support what's sitting right in their own backyard. As a product of this department, I can say my years in Mago gave me all the tools I needed to succeed and have a career doing what I am most passionate about every single day. Keep doing what you're doing and I hope I'll run into you when I'm in town in April!

    Much love.

    ReplyDelete